Friday, February 4, 2011

The call that changed it all...

It all started in October of 2009 when I was driving home from work in Tulsa with Matt working in Kansas City for a commodities trading company. He called to say he'd been offered the opportunity to transfer with the company to Melbourne, Australia. At first I thought he was joking, but 6 months, multiple negotiations, one engagement, and heaps of boxes-we boarded a plane bound as far south as they go- to the land down under.

We decided to get married back in Oklahoma in August, seeing as both our families lived there. I went home to Tulsa in late June to finish planning the wedding. Matt followed in August, about a week before the wedding, and we spent 5 days in Fiji on the way back to Melbourne.


Picture from the wedding.


Tokoriki Resort in Fiji on our honeymoon.

Matt has continued his working with the company trading wheat in Australia while I have taken on many different hats while trying to sort out my visa situation. Moving here I was on a 'Work and Holiday' visa and am now, after 8-9 long weeks and multiple phone calls to immigration am on as a spouse for his 'Employer Sponsored' visa.

We decided to start a blog about our adventures here in Australia (even though we’ve been here for almost a year), settling into the new lifestyle, language barriers (and let me tell you there are new words I learn every day!), and the ups/downs of married life. We hope you enjoy reading about them just as much as we love experiencing them!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to hear about what's going on with you! I miss you like crazy and can't wait for when you come back so we can have another sushi date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh!! Woo hoo!! Hopefully you keep up with this better than Twitter. :-) I really shouldn't talk though, I'm just the opposite. Love you sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dotter! i love this! write more! i want to hear EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete